The cost of dental implants is relatively higher than other procedures, yet, its popularity as the preferred choice in treating orthodontic conditions keeps soaring. What could be the reason for this? Why are more people opting for dental implants in NYC? These and more is what this post seeks to address.
First and foremost, what are dental implants?
Dental implant procedures are usually performed by a surgeon and a dentist. A surgeon fixes a titanium screw in your jawbone, and prosthetic teeth are affixed to the titanium screw or frame. Implants usually last a lifetime, with only a small failure rate of about 5 percent.
What Are The Other Options?
- Dentures: Dentures are removable prosthetic devices that are worn to replace missing teeth. Dentures are notorious to wiggle and fall off because your mouth expands as you grow; this causes the dentures to become loose overtime. They are also harder to maintain than dental implants. Typically they need to be relined, remade, or rebased.
- Bridges: In bridge procedures, the dentist joins a replacement tooth to the two adjacent teeth in order to secure the new tooth in place. They are a permanent fix and can’t be removed as dentures can. However, the adjacent teeth becomes at risk of nerve damage and decay, with likelihood that it will need a root canal soon. A study also found out that over a five-year period, the maintenance cost for bridges is higher than for dental implants.
From the above descriptions, it’s not hard to see why dental implants are increasingly a top choice in replacing missing teeth.
Benefits and Advantages of Dental Implants
Dental implants offer many advantages as an option in filling lost teeth, including:
- Improved appearance: Dental implants cannot be told apart from your other teeth.
- Improved speech: Dental implants are unlike dentures that slip within the mouth causing you to muddle up your words.
- Comfort: Their fixed nature means they remain in place and eliminate the risk of falling out in front of other people.
- Easier eating: Dentures are notorious for making chewing a tad difficult especially at the beginning. On the other hand, dental implants feel and function like your own teeth, making eating possible without pain.
- Self-esteem boost: There’s nothing like a perfect smile to give you that confidence boost.
- Healthier option: With implants, there is room for things like brush and floss to pass through, giving way for proper oral hygiene.
- Durability: Implants will last many years and with good care, probably a lifetime.
Should You Get Dental Implants?
Typically, anyone who is healthy can be considered for dental implants. That said, the underlying condition is for them to have healthy gums, and enough bone to support the new implant. However, people who are heavy smokers, diabetics, and people with heart diseases need to be evaluated by an experienced cosmetic dentist. If you’re considering a dental implant, call Dr. Alex Rubinov at (718) 253-0800 today to make an appointment.