Other than brushing your teeth, there’s nothing specific you need to do prior to teeth whitening treatment. Maybe just apply some lip balm, as it can dry slightly. There is no such requirement of scaling or polishing your teeth before the treatment, however you should never miss regular visits to the dentist, as it keeps you updated!
What To Expect On Arrival For The Treatment?
- The Dentist will take a thorough look at the present condition, do a consultation and answer any queries you may have.
- A cheek retractor is inserted, and shade measurements are taken, as the professional takes a look at your teeth to ensure everything is fine to proceed with the treatment.
- A whitening gel is applies and laser light is activated, kicking off the first 15 minutes of the session.
- On completion of the first sessions, a new layer of whitening gel is reapplied, starting the 2nd 15-minute session.
- The third session is just a repeat of the abovementioned steps.
What Care Must Be Taken Post-Treatment?
- Avoid any kind of dark staining drinks like fruit juice, alcoholic drinks, Red Wine, Coffee and Tea.
- Abstain from having dark staining foods likes fruits, chocolate, red meat, soy sauce and Bolognese.
- Do not smoke or drink alcohol for the first 24 hours, as this will lead to staining of your teeth.
- You can moderately use electronic cigarettes.
- Avoid using any mouthwash for 24 hours, as well as colored toothpaste.
What Sort Of Foods Can I Have During The First 24 Hours?
Coming to the things that you should consume in post teeth-whitening process, there’s a big list to follow. White wine, 7Up, Milk, cereals, white sauces, plain pasta, potatoes, chips, fish and plain chicken are some common choices. Here’s a list of some more white foods and clear drinks you can have immediately after a treatment.
- Skinless turkey/chicken (excluding the fat)
- White low-fat yoghurt
- Rice crispies
- Crustless white bread
- Peeled potatoes
- Egg Whites
- White Onion
- White Cheese
- White Pasta
- White Rice
- White Fish
- Still water
- Soda Water or Tonic
- White Lemonade
- Alcohol mixed with clear mixers (vodka, gin and tonic)
- Clear coconut water.
Post-whitening treatment, sensitivity can happen for at least 1-2 days after the process. You need to brush your teeth regularly until the sensation goes away. If you had been facing dental issues such as cavities, broken, missing or cracked teeth, the sensitivity can be intensified. Hence it is recommended to fix these issues before going for the teeth whitening process.
Feel free to consult one of the leading cosmetic dentists in Manhattan, Dr Alex Rubinov who has been offering a happy smile to many clients over the years, offering the highest level of dental services. He has graduated from Columbia University College of Dental Medicine with distinction, and has sufficient contribution in the field of dentistry.