When you see your favorite celebrities rocking the red carpet with that perfect smile and you’re like “Damn, lucky you, hun.” Truth is that perfect smile is not restricted to a select few, not least when an experienced cosmetic dentist is just a consultation away. You can equally achieve that perfect celebrity smile with porcelain veneers in NYC.
Porcelain veneers also known as porcelain laminates are an ultra-thin layer of materials used to alter how your teeth look, giving you that perfect smile. Porcelain laminates are bonded with your teeth, but in no way do they cause any permanent change to your natural teeth. They merely alter the outward appearance.
Types of Veneers
There are two kinds of laminates, porcelain and resin. Porcelain is closer to the look of the natural teeth and also stains less. Resin veneers, on the other hand, are thinner than porcelain and don’t require as much teeth surface removal as porcelain does. If you want that celebrity Hollywood smile and you’re considering porcelain veneer as the way to go, you should discuss your option with an experienced cosmetic dentist.
When Do You Need Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain veneers treat more of the common dental conditions like teeth that are chipped, worn, broken, gapped, and misaligned. They are also useful for teeth that suffer from heavy discoloration caused by wine, coffee, and smoking.
Advantages of Porcelain Veneers
- Improves the appearance of your teeth
- They look natural and at such no one would bat an eye lid as they would if you wore braces
- They resist stains well
- They are well accommodated by the gum tissue
- There are multiple choices available, even to cover the darkest of teeth
- Unlike crowns, they require less shaping
Disadvantages of Porcelain Veneers
- Not suitable for teeth prone to decay or gum disease
- Veneers are permanent and irreversible
- Requires the removal of the teeth’s surface
- You can’t change color afterwards
- Your teeth can still face decay
Caring for Porcelain Veneers
Porcelain veneers can last up to a lifetime, with quality care. Ways to care for veneers include:
- Use regular toothpaste for brushing.
- Floss at least twice every day.
- Always remember that you can’t use abrasive polish on your veneers.
- Try as much as possible to not bite into foods; cut the food into smaller bits and eat these bits with the back teeth.
- If you grind your teeth in your sleep, get a mouth guard.
- Polish your veneers regularly, however, remember to always tell the dentist about your veneers. Veneers need a different polish to natural teeth.
- If you play sports, ensure you wear a mouth guard.
- Snack less frequently to prevent decay
- Reduce alcohol consumption. Alcohol weakens the bond between your teeth and the veneer.
If you want that Hollywood smile that your friends would envy, then porcelain veneer is a solid choice. You can contact us today and set up a meeting with our lead cosmetic dentist Dr. Alex Rubinov at (718) 253-0800.